Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Afghanistan ER--The Mountain

“Listen up, Jaded Julie. Mack copied me on a note that he sent to some of his Army friends.

‘Hi, everyone,

I just heard about Bin Laden's untimely death. Thanks for all the well-wishes and kind words. Sunday and Monday I was on an air assault mission. Yesterday, I was sleeping in the strong point and guys started talking about it. I guess the news was put on the tactical radio net. I was half asleep, thought I had just imagined it, but later when I woke up, I found out it was true. I think he was mainly a symbol, a coward who has just been hiding for the last ten years, so I don't know how this will change our fight over here.

Last two days were pretty tough; mission was up in the mountains. Saturday, some of one of the platoons was up on this mountain, a piece of rock about four-1/2 stories above the rest of the area. Anti-personnel mine blew the right leg off one of the guys, right at mid thigh. The temperature was about 98 degrees. I had to run (or as close to that as I could manage) about 500 meters through uncleared terrain with a guy in front of me with a Vallin (mine detector) and one of the squad leaders, climbing over walls and cutting through compounds. Then one of my medics and I had to claw our way to the top of this thing to take care of him. A proverbial nightmare!

The whole time the helo was saying over the radio that they were almost out of fuel and were going to have to turn back if we didn't get him down to the bottom in minutes. The Fast-One failed to fire its needle; never had that happen before. Eddie was conscious, but I could barely feel a radial pulse. So I decided to go for the second IV and try to get the other unit of Hextend on board and also do some IV morphine because he was in so much pain. Never had a lousy IV start give me so much anxiety! The first responders had done an excellent job on the tourniquet, as high on the thigh as this was; but there was so much oozing we kept adding combat gauze and more pressure dressings. All in this little spot on top of this damn dirty rock.

We had to lower the guy over the side and practically skate him down on a Fox litter. IVs both pulled out by the time we reached bottom, but got what we needed in. I thought we were going to lose him; but they told me last night he's alive, has had a surgery or two, and I think he's on his way to Landstuhl.

The exertion of the whole thing was horrible. I had a weapon, full aid bag, and also was carrying 7 liters of water because of the heat. I felt like the climb was going to do me in, especially with me being twice the age as everyone else. Anyway, I got back to the FOB last night, am lying low today. Have about 3-4 days until next mission. (I can't believe with less than a month until we actually fly home that we are still at this horrendous op tempo!)

Forgive me for unloading this war story. I'm not including my civilian friends that won't understand anything anyway. Take care and please stay in touch.—Mack’


“Curmudge, just hearing the story makes me feel exhausted.”

“When we lived in Washington State, Mack and I would speed-hike up mountains in the Columbia River Gorge. But then we were 20 years younger.”

“And no one’s life depended on how soon you got to the top.”

No comments:

Post a Comment